Thursday, October 18, 2007

How young is too young?

For sex and birth control.
All I have been hearing about in the news is about these middle school kids getting on the pill and patch. I feel like a pit has been put in my stomach and is growing. I am outraged and I am not a parent. But middle school?
When I was in middle school I didn't like boys and they sure as heck didn't like me(I was pretty ugly with thick glasses and braces).
Let me tell you I had crushes but the thought of being sexually active with a boy was not even in my mind at all. I couldn't even ask a boy to dance. I just can't imagine at the age of middle school ever being interested in anything except sleep overs and sports, school dances going to the mall, riding my bike, summer break.
I did not even have my first kiss until I was 16.
I don't understand what is wrong with people and kids these days. Middle school is too young for sex, it just shouldn't happen, and instead of birth control there needs to be more sex ed. more information being given to these school about sex so these kids know what they are doing.
Sex is everywhere in our society and these kids are growing up thinking it is fun and games and they can do it too, and that is the farthest thing from the truth.
There is no way in middle school I would have even been close to ready to be sexually active, in fact I wasn't even ready when I became so. But I refuse to believe this is what our society has come to.

3 comments:

Nancyroo said...

So sad and a tough call...
however...I work with middle school kids and some definitely experiment. We do tell them that at their age they should not be doing anything, but do they listen?
I prefer condoms and BC to the alternatives- STD's and 13 year old moms and dads.

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

I need to plead the 5th on this one...

Robyn said...

It's sad, but it is what's happening.